IRL Community Rules
Last Updated: May 2022
At IRL, we're creating an environment where you can discover your passions, connect with others, develop intimate friendships and build community through group conversations and real-life events. We believe there’s a better way to use social media for our collective
good. This is why we are constantly creating new ways for our communities to grow and thrive. And, most importantly, it’s why we strive to make sure that everyone feels welcome.
These Community Rules outline what is and isn't acceptable when using IRL. While they are meant to serve as an overarching code of conduct, we recognize that no two communities are alike and will have their own culture, rules and norms. So consider these guidelines as a really solid foundation to build upon. As a heads up – we will add and adjust the list from time to time to keep up with new risks, incorporating what we learn as we work together to maintain everyone's safety and confidence. Without further ado, let's get started!
How you treat people is how you invite them to treat you: interact in ways that don't harm others!
Sounds simple, right? We expect everyone on IRL to conduct themselves in a way that is safe, respectful and inclusive of others.
Whether you're here to inform, support, inspire or have fun, share things that make the community better!
We expect the content and experiences shared through IRL to be authentic, useful and healthy for the community, and we have no tolerance for any activity that would break the law.
When we join IRL groups, conversations and events, we all want a safe space to bring our authentic self and know that we belong!
Our Community Rules are meant to protect individuals and the collective from:
- toxic behavior that brings people down or scares them;
- disruptive interactions that ruin the experience;
- illegal actions that harm people.
🤬 No racism or hateful conduct
IRL is a place to be yourself, meet others, share ideas, and deepen connections. However the only way we can do this is if everyone feels safe, welcome, protected, and included.
- humiliate, spread fear, dehumanize, or promote stereotypes toward an individual or a group based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, veteran status, socio-economic level, caste, or immigration status;
- use disparaging slurs, derogatory phrases or spread targeted gender-based abuse;
- justify or promote hateful ideology and iconography, including claims of supremacy, glorification of recognizable hateful figures or symbols, or denial and dismissal of hate-based violent events and their victims.
😡 No harassment, bullying or threats
IRL was created to facilitate supportive, cohesive, and vibrant communities, groups and events. Such collectives are unable to thrive unless we all respect each other.
- mock someone based on their mental, physical or personality traits - we may allow exceptions for critique, satire or parody of public figures;
- shame, intimidate, threaten or wish harm on anyone;
- repeat unwanted contact with someone if they haven't expressed interest or have asked you to stop;
- threaten to release or release someone's sensitive private information, such as: their real name, address, phone number or other personally identifying information (doxxing); details of their sexual life, sexual identity or sexual orientation; or any intimate imagery they didn't give you explicit permission to share;
- coordinate or encourage others to do any of these actions.
💥 No promotion of violence, unsafe behavior, or self-harm
IRL is committed to ensuring our users are protected from harm and doing as much as we can to prevent real world violence.
- share gory, gruesome or sadistic content for the sake of shocking or triggering others;
- share content or organize events that incite or celebrate acts of violence or abuse against people, animals or property;
- share content or organize events promoting activities that could severely hurt others or endanger their life, in absence of a skilled professional and clear safety precautions;
- encourage, normalize, share depictions or strategies about self-harm, eating disorders, or suicide.
💕 We will always encourage conversations & events that seek to raise awareness about mental health concerns, and encourage people looking to find community support. If you think someone is in immediate danger, please contact your local emergency services first, and then report to IRL. You could also consider reaching out to #BeThe1To to find information on how to offer support to someone who is struggling.
If you are having thoughts of self-harm or suicide, we encourage you to contact one of these services, which are free of charge and confidential:
- Call: 1-800-273-8255 to reach counselors at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, or visit https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Text: WELL to 741-741 to text with a counselor through Crisis Text Line, or visit www.crisistextline.org
🚸 No exploitation or endangerment of minors
IRL is deeply committed to minor safety and we do not tolerate content or behavior that exploits, endangers, or harms minors in any way. We report any illegal or potentially illegal content of this sort to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) for referral to law enforcement authorities. Associated account information may also be shared in compliance with the law.
- share any content that depicts, praises, or references minors in a sexually-explicit, sexualized, sexually suggestive, or exploitative manner. This includes self-generated content;
- request, trade, sell or offer to share any content that depicts nude imagery or the sexual exploitation of minors;
- knowingly expose minors to sexually-explicit content;
- coerce or groom minors into sexual or exploitative acts, or facilitate real-world sexual encounters with minors;
- share content or organize activities that encourage the physical or emotional abuse, neglect or endangerment of minors.
🍑 No adult content or pornography
IRL is not for public or non-consensual sharing of sexually explicit content or pornography.
- share content that depicts actual or simulated sex acts, sexual arousal or stimulation, genitals, sexually-revealed breasts, exposed buttocks, or by-products of sexual activity;
- share content for sexual gratification or feticization;
- share content that normalizes or promotes non-consensual sex or touching;
- share someone's intimate imagery without their consent;
- promote content or organize events related to escort, prostitution or sexual/adult services or favors.
🤥 No deceptive conduct
To build a supportive and vibrant community on IRL, we have to be able to trust the information that is shared.
- create an account and content that falsely impersonates another individual, business, brand, or entity.
- If you are a fan of or parodying a public figure or brand, make it clear through your username, account name and profile bio that there is no affiliation;
- mass-create accounts, or fake, sell or buy engagement to manipulate activity metrics on the platform;
- attack the platform's integrity or security in any way;
- mislead or deceive others through scams, financial frauds, ponzi schemes, phishing, malware links, or unauthorized account access;
- conceal an event's true purpose in order to deceive participants;
- create, share and spread false or inaccurate information/conspiracy theories related to voting or civic engagement, health and medicine, national origin or ethnic group, documented tragic events, notable societal/political topics, current events, or prejudice against a group of people;
- share manipulated content that may cause confusion, harm, or incite unrest or violence.
🗑️ No spam
Spammy content and behavior ruin everyone's experience and derail conversations.
- share large amounts of irrelevant, unwanted or repetitive content;
- mass message groups and individuals for the sole purpose of redirecting people to external sites and apps, or promote links to commercial content (which is irrelevant to the group or event) ;
- join conversations for the sole purpose of trolling, instigating arguments, offending and upsetting the group.
⚖️ No promotion of illegal or unlawful activities
IRL adheres to local laws and regulations and we expect people to follow those as well. We may report illegal activity to local authorities in compliance with applicable laws.
- share content that violates someone's copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights. (Please consult our Copyright Policy for more details.)
- promote the use of illegal drugs or controlled substances, or provide instructions on how to get intoxicated;
- use IRL to trade, buy or sell drugs, controlled substances, regulated goods, or illegal items such as: pharmaceuticals, alcohol, cigarettes, weapons, counterfeit items, hacking codes, or stolen goods;
- share content that seeks, offers or promotes human, organ, wildlife, weapon or any other forms of trafficking;
- promote or facilitate services which you do not have the required license to perform, or services that are illegal to promote in your jurisdiction;
- use IRL to organize, coordinate, or plan any illegal or criminal activity.
🩸No violent or dangerous organizations
IRL deepens everyone's ability to connect, and we aim to protect people and their communities from the ideology of hateful, violent and dangerous groups and individuals.
- accounts and content created by groups or individuals engaged in violence, organized hate or systematic misinformation;
- accounts, content or symbols that are associated with, glorify, defend, praise or support terrorist organizations, extremist groups, gangs and criminal organizations, or their leaders;
- content that encourages the participation in dangerous organizations or attempts to recruit for them.
🌎 Misconduct outside of IRL
The safety and wellbeing of people on IRL is our top priority. When we become aware and are able to accurately verify that an individual has engaged in violence, harassment, hateful conduct, illegal activity, or current or prior behavior that poses a severe risk to our community - even outside of IRL - we retain the right to terminate their account or prevent them from using IRL in the future.
📃 Enforcing our Community Rules
Each time you access or use IRL, you agree to adhere to both our Community Rules and Terms of Service. We enforce these agreements through a combination of technology and human moderation. In some cases determining whether a guideline has been violated can be very nuanced, and we reserve the right to make enforcement decisions we believe are appropriate for the IRL community - including making exceptions for content that may have educational, documentary, scientific or artistic value.
These decisions may sometimes include removing content, as well as restricting or banning accounts with severe or repeated violations. These actions may escalate for people who attempt to circumvent enforcement measures by creating multiple accounts, re-uploading previously moderated content, or evading blocks from the community. Further, when we become aware of an account that we reasonably believe belongs to someone under age 13, we will remove that account.
If you believe someone has violated our Community Rules or other terms please contact us at email@example.com. We will review the matter and determine if there has been a violation. However, to maintain the privacy of individuals, we will not always be able to relay our decision back to you.